The lead up to Christmas can be stressful. There is lots of pressure to create the “perfect day” for everyone…
- Cooking a big meal
- Seeing family you don’t want to see
- Feeling isolated and alone
- Getting presents
- Making Christmas special
A lot of these things can make the Christmas period not enjoyable.
Use November as a time to recharge before the Christmas period and prepare yourself for the chaos ahead…
- Get lots of rest
- Consider quitting smoking or cutting down on alcohol
- Start planning now
You may also need to alter those unhealthy expectations…
- Don’t put pressure on the need to have a perfect day
- If you have kids, its not about the presents they receive. Spending quality time with them matters more.
- Reach out to the people you want to reach out to
- Stay off social media. Don’t compare your Christmas to others.
Here are some top tips on how to relieve the pressure this festive period –
- Switch off
- Plan ahead. Don’t let yourself get overwhelmed
- Boundaries. You can say no to things
- Take time out. This is your time to have a break.
- Manage relationships.
- Think of how you will manage difficult dinners or uncomfortable situations
- Look after yourself
- Do fun and easy activities with your kids
- Get lots of sleep
- Set a budget
- Start buying presents early
- Do the things you enjoy