GKR are Construct Zero Business Champions!
We have been recognised as an ambassador to decrease our carbon usage to become Net Zero Carbon by 2023.
Out of the 9 ConstructZero priorities, our priorities are:
- Transport – moving to zero emission vehicles and plant. Using low carbon modes of transport in readiness for zero emission vehicles.
- Buildings – enhancing the energy performance of our buildings.
- Construction activities – implementing carbon measurements to enable our activities to be quantifiable as we work with our construction projects
GKR are the first scaffolding specialist to become Carbon Neutral. Contributing to this has been the move to using Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil (HVO) fuel as an alternative to diesel, resulting in carbon emissions being reduced by 93%.
Our offices already use 100% renewable electricity, we offset the remainder in a Plant A Tree – Protect a Tree initiative.
The avoided deforestation programme protects trees in the UK and in the Brazilian Amazon for every tree planted in the UK, a tonne of carbon will be saved on another continent.
Our roadmap also includes
- Trialing composite materials to replace plastic such as tube end caps.
- Using electric forklifts.
- Implementing a green policy on steel purchasing to lower requirement on raw materials.
- Addressing how employee’s travel to work and broadening use of the Cycle to Work Scheme.
See the Construction Leadership Council press release here
See our roadmap to becoming Net Zero Carbon here